2007/06/09

My P4i45GV motherboard is not Linux friendly

Yes, I used my P4i45GV motherboard for long time, but only for the onboard display.
Today I got a P4 2.4GHz CPU and a NVidia GeForce MX 440 old display card back home.
After inserting both stuff, Windows boots up normal, but all of my Linux distributions - Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora, RHEL5, crashes with kernel dump once it start.
With a search on google, the problem is about the AGI slot, which is a modified AGP slot from ASRock, to provide AGP display card support on i845 chipset (which normally no AGP support). Normally, when we inserted a display card on the board, the onboard display chip should be turned off, or disabled, but luckily Linux still detects it and crashes once initialize it.
Finding a way to make it works... but seems not easy.
http://mepislovers.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-6487.html