2010/04/14

Fedora 12 based root filesystem for MIPS built

I've joined Fedora MIPS project in order to build a Fedora system for MIPS architecture (MIPS-3 N32 ABI)
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/MIPS
After weeks of rebuilding and patching, a minimal root filesysterm has been built, which is runnable in both Loongson 2f box natively or in a QEMU MIPS virtual machine.
Originally I built the packages using Loongson-2F optimization but after discussion with other developers, seems MIPS-3 is better and it can support more machine types, not just Loongson-2F, so I have to rebuild all the packages I've built, and it is still underway, like GNOME desktop packages.
Hope it will be finished before May.
And now I am always discussing with others in IRC #fedora-mips and #mipslinux, our wish is to push MIPS to Fedora secondary architecture, so next step will be pushing our patches to Fedora upstream, hope we can have MIPS version of Fedora 14 officially.